Question:2-3 ideas that got you interested in Social Media & Society this term
-it was mandatory
-I was intrigued to know what the course entailed
Question -How do you think social media will change by the time you graduate?
– not sure, but i could only speculate that with its growing popularity across the globe, having to use this medium every day to communicate, get things done with the advancement of new technologies and mobile devices….. it’s likely that social media and the internet will continue to spread in other areas of our lives.
Question – How do you think social media in education changes the role of the student and the teacher? There has been a few complaints from students that it takes much time for them to go online to read through materials, assignments, blogs etc. However in a revolving world where social media is becoming so popular, students have to now adapt to not just learn from books and assignments but also learning to adapt to the world using a relatively new form of communication.
Social media has taught me alot, it has taught me to stretch beyound social interaction.Students and teachers can both collaborate through this medium when one is confused about a particular topic or course. A professor can post a video about a course and it engages the student and teaches one to be disciplined enough to adapt to online tutoring or learning as one can get easily distracted with other social media network. social media in education can change the life of a teacher and student as more time is spent igniting students brain talking with them rather than toooooooooooo them. Teachers and students are also able to interact more rather than just sitting in a classroom. However for me, a classroom sitting is my preference even though i dont mind a course in online tutoring.
- Paragraph #1-List all the different types of social media you used for this and/or other courses at Durham College. This includes both formal social media platforms (like DC Connect & college email) as well as informal platforms (private Facebook chats & personal email).
- Answer: The different social medias that i use at Durham college, this course and other courses both formally and informally are:
- Dc connect
- G mail
- Hi5………… all i could possible take into account.
- Paragraph #2-Comment on which social media platforms you preferred to use. Critically reflect as to why you preferred those social media platforms over others
- Answer: The social media platforms that i prefer are:
- yahoo – all my mails are dispatched to this account.
- Google – whatever information i need to know, this platform is easily accessible
- DC connect – all updates on courses taken are sent through this medium
- Facebook- i use it mostly to collaborate with close friends and generally family members
- Skype – chat with friends
- YouTube – listen to music
I use these social media platforms everyday and they have become apart of my daily routine activities each and every day. I never really took the time to surf the internet to get updates about the latest APPS or other platforms for the basis of communication or “need to know”. I am more conservative and these medium works for me.
- Paragraph #3-Comment on which social media platforms you did not like to use. Critical reflect as to why you did not like using/avoided those social media platforms over others
Answers:Social media platforms that i didn’t like to use are:
Hi 5 – They were charging to register, more over it was becoming rather difficult to comprehend and they would change the feature of my page without any formal notice or consent.
I am very much aware of some of the other social media platforms that are widely used, such as: Twitter, Tagged, MySpace, LinkedIn etc but i have never really taken the time to inform myself about them nor utilize them as my interest was never spooked at all.
Paragraph 1-List and describe 2-3 social media technologies that you regularly use:
Paragraph 2-Describe 2-3 positive or negative examples of how those social media platforms affect your personal life:
1. Saves money
2. convenient in the space of my own home
3. gateway to communicate with my family and friends
Paragraph 3-Describe 2-3 positive or negative examples of how those social media platforms (may) affect your professional life:
1. increases professional visibility
2. creates knowledge for intellectual growth
3. increase awareness on social responsibilites
Paragraph 1-Summarize the article (include the hyperlink) and reference 1-2 quotes you feel are important to share:
The blog basically speaks to the impact social media has on education and how prevalent it has become in our culture and schools. Its addresses the fact that it is free, cuts down isolation, builds tolerance and understanding between cultural diversity and allows one to be more open. Two quotes that I personally think is important to share: “education is based upon relationships and while people often look at social media as just “technology”, we have to see how proper use can help bring our world together.” Also, “If we are proactive in the way we work with kids using social media, there is no limit to what they can do”
Hyperlink is as follows: http://connectedprincipals.com/archives/3024.
Paragraph 2-Comment on the extent that you can relate to the article, e.g. share a story of something that either happened to you or someone that you know, or go the other way, writing about how your experience is totally opposite of what is written about in the article:
The impact on social media on education is revolving. Back in primary and high school, technology and social media was not as progressive then as it is now. My nephew who is just eight years old knows how to communicate on Facebook with relatives and friends, goes online to complete math assignments given to him from school. Our awareness of technology and social media then was not heightened as now. Social media has contributed to education and has aided in building tolerance, broadening awareness in so many ways than one and amplifies passion.
Paragraph 3-Offer new knowledge, insight, or wisdom, about what we, as a society, can learn from this. E.g., point out the moral of the story and connect examples, descriptions to support your ideas:
The world is quickly becoming wired through the use of social media as we know it. Some of us like myself is still struggling to keep up with the pace of a drastically changing society. Form Hi5, to Facebook, Skype – you name it. Before I have the opportunity of getting familiar with a particular social media, here comes another to heighten my awareness. Outside of school, social media JUST IS…”its life. In a world where this type of communication is king among students, we have to stop ignoring and start embracing the idea that social media is not what is was twenty to five years ago. We need to shift towards being more responsible and positive with its use. Students are taught about sex education, healthy living, drugs, and so on and these activities or learning materials are a part of their daily schedule, yet we are ignoring what is larger than these things. Teachers need to start modelling responsible use of social media. Social Media is often looked at as a place to socialize with friends, or as a marketing tool but it can be so much more. Social Media in Education is now needed more than ever.